Tuesday, May 22, 2012

7 Things You Probably Don't Care to Know About Me...

I am participating in a chain blog message.  I hate chain messages of any sort, like the forwards you receive through texts stating: If you don't pass this on you will have bad luck for X amount of time (so don't send me those!).  But at the behest of Devin Berglund, another blogger, I am going to give this one a spin.  Mostly to see what seven things I will pick. :)  I should really re-title this, Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me.

1.  My mom was involved in a religious cult when I was young.  I remember a man in a black robe with a rope tied around his middle delivering the services.  Obviously she broke free and went on to speak against cults to many students and churches over the years.  I have been fascinated with them ever since.  I recommend the book, Snapping: America's Epidemic of Sudden Personality Change, by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman, for additional reading on the topic.

2.  I eat the same snack virtually every night.  A mixture of almonds, dark chocolate, and dried cranberries.  I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and my blood sugar levels respond well to this concoction.  I may even keep this snack and the gestational diabetes diet after pregnancy.  I actually lost a few pounds when I first started but don't worry I had fat reserves to draw from and it didn't affect the baby.

3.  Politically I am a Libertarian and in regards to religion I am a Christian.  This fits the blog entry perfectly because people hate to discuss their affiliations.  When I say I'm a Christian I mean exactly that.  I don't pick and choose what I think will work for me from the Bible.  I understand I am imperfect and not following God's entire word and I expect to be held accountable for my behavior someday.  It is also why I have a hard time attending churches affiliated with the ELCA now.  As an organization, they have decided to pick and choose, like they are picking out ice cream toppings, and that is completely disrespectful to God.  My political beliefs have also hardened over time (dare I start using the word crotchety?).  I remember my misspent youth and how "open my mind was".  Looking back, my moral compass was all over the place and I wasted a lot of time on very foolish things.

4.  I am awful to travel with, especially on long flights.  My poor, poor husband probably has visions of shooting me with a tranq gun on these voyages.  It starts out well but I quickly degrade into an irritable, complaining mess.  By the end of it, I wish I had tranquilized myself.  For instance, when we traveled to Germany it took me at least three days to even resemble a civil human being.  I said awful things, broke down in tears, stormed off not once but twice, etc...you get the point.  I love the experiences I've had traveling but for me and my traveling companions there is a price to pay and it's almost worse than the cost of the ticket.

5.  I had my fifteen minutes of fame on television and it was mortifying.  I was involved in the dance team my senior year of high school and we were asked to perform at the North Dakota State Class B basketball tournament.  It was on local television and my grandparents taped the event.  I eventually watched the tape and they did a close up of me.  It was all good until I realized they did a close up of me and my giant pit stain.  Unfortunate timing but it makes for a funny story.

6.  I love reading books from the author Betty Neels before bed.  She is a celebrated author in circles of the Harlequin variety.  I particularly love these books because of their innocence (the dude gets a kiss from the lady and that's about it).  They generally follow the same plot structure.  Young gal from England, in meager circumstances, meets handsome older gentleman, who is usually Dutch.  They are forced to work and/or be together due to a social arrangement and eventually they fall in love.  It's formulaic but soothing.  These books are my Ambien.

7.  I almost went to work on a dude ranch!  It seems inconceivable to me that I would even consider that, knowing how long it takes me to get ready.  But in 2002 I was accepted to work in Durango, Colorado.  I was deciding in between that and living with my friend Jess in Fargo.  Funny how things work out.  If I had decided to head to Colorado, I probably wouldn't be married to my husband and best friend.  I'd be married to some cowboy and we'd have little bowlegged children running around.  :)             

No comments:

Post a Comment